When choosing a menu to withstand the summer time temperatures I always like to begin with a refreshing, and preferably cool, first course. My spicy watermelon salad is the perfect blend of sweet and spice, plus it highlights one of summer’s biggest stars. Just make sure you let your guests decide how much heat they can handle by placing the sliced jalepeños on the side. Make sure to check out our entire Al Fresco Dining post HERE and enjoy! truly, MKR
*Blue Place Settings, One Kings Lane (sold out) || White Place Settings, kate spade new york c/o || Blue & White Bowls, Waiting On Martha (email for availability) || Hand Towels used as Napkins, Waiting On Martha ||
**Photography, Rustic White
- 5 cups watermelon balled or cut into cubes
- 3 English Cucumbers sliced
- 1 Jalepeno deveined and chopped
- 1 Jalepeno deveined and sliced for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup red onions finely diced
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped, plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija, feta, or goat cheese
- In a small bowl add red onion, brown sugar, lime juice, diced jalapeno, garlic, and salt stirring to combine.
- In a large bowl mix together the cucumber, watermelon, and red onion.
- Pour the dressing on top of the salad, garnish with cilantro, cheese and additional jalapenos if you like it HOT.