There are few foods I love more than potatoes. Few foods. One of those foods (or rather food categories) however is Mexican anything. So what could be better than combining the two? Nothing, especially if that combination comes in the form of a comfy, cozy soup. Therefore I give you my homemade vegan potato-chorizo soup. This soup is so, so good. And like all of my recipes if you’re not a vegan or vegetarian you can always sub in your own ingredients.
Enjoy the deliciousness, xoxo.
What you’ll need…
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion
1 cup chopped carrots
4-5 cloves of garlic minced
1 cup corn
1 bunch of green onions chopped
1 package of vegan Chorizo I like Soy Chorizo from Trader Joes
6-8 red potatoes, skin on and chopped
2 cans of canneli beans
1 bunch of cilantro
4 cups vegetable stock
4 cups water
1/2 cup rice or almond milk.
Tofutti sour cream (optional)
salt, pepper, cayenne and curry to taste (optional)
What to do…
1. Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a saute pan add garlic an onions and cook until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add carrots and saute an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a large sauce/stock pot bring vegetable stock and water to a boil.
3. Add the cooked vegetables and potatoes to the boiling water/stock. Reduce the heat to a medium-low and let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
4. Add the beans, corn and rice or almond milk and cook stirring frequently for 10-15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne and curry to taste. Feel free to omit the cayenne and curry I just like everything spicy.
5. While the soup continues to cook add 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a saute pan, add chorizo and cook through, 5-6 minutes.
6. Spoon soup into a bowl and garnish with crumbled chorizo, green onions and cilantro. A dollop of Tofutti sour cream would be great too!
This is a Waiting On Martha original recipe…