I love brussels sprouts. They’re SO simple to make in any of all forms, and they always taste like a more elevated version of the rest of the veggies that make it onto the plate, don’t you think?! I’m a fan of them cooked any way from fried and crispy to tender and slow-cooked; they always hit the spot.
Today’s take on brussels sprouts is celebrating them raw in a shaved brussels sprouts salad that reminds me a lot of a healthier version of coleslaw. It’s light, tangy and delightfully crunchy. And thanks to its versatile, goes-with-everything flavor, this shaved brussels sprouts salad can be served as a great main dish with grilled chicken or a fantastic accompanying side salad dish.
Tell me, will you be whipping up this easy shaved brussels sprouts salad tonight?! Truly, MKR
- 2 bags of brussels to serve 4 people as a main dish - serves 6 if it's a side salad
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 cup grated parmesan, plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 medium shallot, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Finely chop the brussels sprouts.*
- Lightly toast the walnuts.
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dressing. Dress the salad.
- *You have to use a mandolin to shave the brussels; you literally want them like coleslaw. It would be really hard to do with a knife! Or a great alternative is the bag of shredded brussels sprouts from Trader Joe's!