There are two things in life I will never give up; one of them is coffee. So when Nespresso reached out about their new VertuoLine, well lets just say I didn’t blink. You see I’ve actually had their original machine for years, and while it’s still lovingly used on a weekly basis I was anxious for the upgrade. Mainly because the VertuoLine not only brews the espresso I’ve come to know and adore, but also full cups of coffee. And this new and improved capability brings my ability to easily make a summer time favorite, caramel iced coffee. The sweetness of homemade caramel syrup (which is ridiculously easy to make so never buy it), combined with frozen Nespresso coffee cubes (I suggest making tons of these and storing them for easy future use), and fresh Nespresso coffee topped off with a little cream…it just doesn’t get any better than that. truly, MKR
**Images, Kathryn McCrary Photography
- 1 cup sugar
- 4-6 cups Nespresso Coffee
- Cream (optional)
- For the Caramel Iced Coffee...
- Combine 1 tablespoon homemade caramel syrup, 2-3 Nespresso coffee ice cubes, 1-2 cups of fresh Nespresso coffee, and cream if desired.
- Stir and enjoy immediately.
- For the Coffee Ice Cubes...
- Make 2-4 cups of Nespresso coffee (depending on how many ice cubes you'd like to make), pour coffee into large ice cube trays and freeze over night
- For the Caramel Syrup...
- Heat sugar and 3/4 cup water in a saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and comes to a boil.
- Continue cooking without stirring, until mixture becomes golden in color.
- Remove from heat add 3/4 cup water, return to heat and continue stirring until mixture is completely liquid.
- Transfer to a heat proof container and let cool. Syrup will last up to 2 weeks, refrigerated and sealed.