I’m wrapping up the week, and almost the year, with one last detail from my “Cold Hands Warm Heart” Cocoa Gathering. The cocoa! For our trip to the farm I actually used Ticket Chocolate’s Peppermint and Vanilla Mint Hot Cocoa Sticks (pictured above) as they’re easy to transport and super gorgeous. But when I’m at home, with an actual stove I like to make my oh-so rich, homemade hot cocoa and whipped cream. And of course you know it wouldn’t be like me to not make a spiked version for those of age. Merry, Merry Loves! truly, MKR
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 6 ounces bittersweet (60% cacao) chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (you can sub out the vanilla for 1 pinch of cayenne pepper and 1 pinch of cinnamon for a spiced chocolate cocoa)
- 1-2 pinches of salt
- Peppermint Schnapps for the spiked Adult only version
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 ounces sugar
- Few dashes vanilla extract (you could also add a few drops of peppermint for peppermint whip)
- Mix together the cornstarch and salt, and whisk in the half-and-half until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly, reduce the heat and slowly simmer it, whisking frequently, 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the chopped chocolate and whisk the mixture until chocolate is melted. Stir in the cocoa, vanilla, and peppermint schnapps for adults. Reheat over low heat if mixture cools.
- Garnish with marshmallow or our homemade whip cream
- Whip all ingredients together until you have soft peaks.
Photos via Rustic White Photography