As the temps begin to drop, and Fall quickly approaches, I remember just how much I look forward to and cherish this time of year. The crisp Fall air, cozy sweaters, pumpkin spice everything…the warmth of this season is hard for anyone to ignore. And along with all of the warmth are flavors that truly embody Fall for me, and topping that list of course, is apple. Growing up, my mom made the best homemade apple crisp, and it only seems appropriate that I welcome my favorite season with a take on my favorite childhood treat.
While mom’s classic apple crisp never included pear, it’s always nice to switch things up and offer a different take on a classic. Enter pear. I’ve always loved pear’s hearty and dense texture and combined with my beloved apples and seven different spices, including cayenne and fresh vanilla bean, this crisp truly brings all the warmth that fall encompasses. And I mean, how precious is an apple crisp in an apple dish?!?!
Now I did mention this recipe is a healthy spiced pear and apple crisp. Instead of your typical flour-based and sugary topping I utilized the crunch of Nourish Snacks without the calories of a typical crisp. You may remember I’ve subbed out ingredients for Nourish’s gluten-free, non GMO, snacks before (our Super Simple Cocoa & Fruit Parfaits are a must-try!), and for this particular recipe the combination of Nourish’s Apple Cinn-sational and Berry’d Treasure completely compliment the crisp and provide that crunch I crave. And let us not forget, by taking the healthy topping route it allows us to splurge on the vanilla bean ice cream that every crisp really deserves. So tell me, how will you be welcoming Fall this year? Truly, MKR
- 4 Pears, peeled and sliced
- 7 Apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon Sea Salt
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon freshly ground Nutmeg
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground Cloves
- 1/8 Teaspoon All Spice
- 1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground Ginger
- For the topping...
- Berry'd Treasure & Cinn-Sational Nourish Snacks
- 2 Tablespoons Butter cut into thin squares
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl add peeled and sliced apples, pears, sugar, brown sugar, salt, lemon juice, inside guts of the vanilla bean, and all the spices (cayenne, allspice, gloves, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg). Mix with a fork to coat.
- Add to greased baking pan and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Pull out and add Nourish Snacks topping and place squares of butter evenly across the topping, bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, serve immediately with ice cream.