When hosting any sort of gathering where food is involved (and lets be honest what kind of gathering doesn’t involve food), my number one go-to is a great cheese plate. A great cheese plate, or board, is truly an essential and one of the easiest items to prepare for your guests. In fact I feel I’ve got my cheese pairings down to a science. A variety of cheeses with different tastes and textures + something sweet and something fresh + a warm baguette to put it on. Oh and a few snacks (nuts, olives, etc.) to nosh on doesn’t hurt. Below you’ll find a few more specifics to help, but don’t feel overwhelmed. If you’re a cheese plate novice simply visit your local cheese shop and talk to the cheese monger. He or she will gladly help you on your journey. truly, MKR
Photos Rustic White
- A variety of cheeses (goat, sheep, cow) with different textures (hard, soft, crumbly)
- 1 spiced or flavored cheese; I used a goat cheese topped with fresh hot spices
- 1-2 types of fruit; apples, pears, strawberries, grapes, raspberries
- 1-2 types of chutney; fig, mango, strawberry lavender or a spicy pepper jelly
- Mixed Olives
- Nuts; candied pecans, marcona almonds, walnuts
- Fresh french baguette and/or crackers
- 1-2 meats; salami, prosciutto, spiced pepperoni
- Lay the ingredients out on a cheese board or large platter, grouping similar ingredients together.
- Slice the fruits and meats right before serving and provide cheese knives and small serving spoons for spreads.