Today marks the last day of my chocolate peppermint baking journey (well maybe not the last last as I’ll be sharing another recipe over on Lark and Linen’s blog soon, but it’s the last day on my blog) so why not go with a bang. Or rather a kiss.
By adding a simple, and oh so delicious, Hershey Candy Cane Kiss, a little peppermint extract and crushed candy cane I’ve taken the best chocolate and buttercream frosted cupcake to a whole other festive level. And the frosting. I can’t even talk about the frosting. Well actually if you’ve been following me on Twitter you’d know that I’ve been eating the chocolate buttercream frosting morning, noon and night for the past few days. Hello holiday gluttony. Happy Monday Loves…only two more sleeps till Christmas! truly, MKR
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 bag of Hershey Candy Cane Kisses
- CK Products Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- crushed candy cane pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line standard muffin pan with paper liners. Place 1 kiss in the center of each paper liner.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add buttermilk, vegetable oil, and 1 1/2 cups warm water; whisk to combine.
- Add eggs, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract and whisk until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (about 2/3 of the way full)
- Bake 18-22 minutes. **Normally I insert a toothpick in the center of the cupcake to check if cupcakes are done, but you don't want to hit the Hershey kiss so test by inserting just outside the center. The toothpick should come out clean with a few crumbs attached.**
- Transfer to wire rack and let completely cool.
- Frost with CK Products Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.
- I've tried numerous buttercream frosting recipes and brands, however CK Products Buttercream Frosting is by far the BEST I've ever tasted!
All images original to Waiting On Martha