It’s the holidays; nobody’s got time for making homemade pasta right now. Maybe not nobody, but at least I don’t…especially since I haven’t really learned how to make homemade pasta, though it’s on my 2017 to-do list. But even if you’re not making it from scratch, that’s no reason to skimp on the star of the show. Fortunately for this recipe, the star of the show isn’t just great, it’s actually store-bought and…gasp, frozen!! Yes, frozen. I know, I was shocked too, but honestly you’d never be able to tell…it’s that good.
Along with the pasta being picked from the frozen aisle, another surprise is that today’s recipe is an incredibly easy, under-30 minute meal! I know what you’re thinking: there’s no way. But here’s my secret: I used Whole Foods organic frozen butternut squash ravioli, and while those were boiling away, I simply sauted and fried up a few of my favorite seasonal additions: sautéed cremini mushrooms and fried sage with fresh pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds, shaved parmesan cheese…all doused in a brown butter sauce (#YUM). Literally, from prep to plate, we’re talking 20 minutes, 30 tops.
The recipe is simple; cook the ravioli per package directions, and as it’s boiling, saute your mushrooms in a pan with a bit of butter. When cooked, remove the mushrooms and set aside. You’ll use that same pan to fry the sage next (it sounds harder than it is). Fried sage simply means dropping the sage leaves into a hot pan full of oil and letting them fry for 15 seconds.
Finally, you’ll want to start on your brown butter sauce. This step takes about five minutes, and while the butter is browning you can begin plating. To plate your dish, begin with the cooked raviolis and top with mushrooms and fried sage. After the butter is done browning, drizzle on top. Next, add your fresh/cold ingredients: pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds, shaved parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a little fresh sage to add some greenery to the plate. Voila! So quick. So simple. So good. Truly, MKR
P.S. A quick tip as you’re plating: the raviolis will get cool faster than your other warm ingredients, so try to time it accordingly. You want those soft raviolis to be warm!
For more under-30 minute meals, head here. xo
- 1 package frozen Butternut Squash Ravioli
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3-4 tablespoons butter
- parmesan cheese, shaved
- 2-3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Fresh sage leaves (3/4 to fry, 1/4 to garnish)
- Make ravioli per package directions.
- In the meantime, slice cremini mushrooms into 1/4 inch strips and sautee them in a pan with butter.
- Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside on a paper towel.
- Use the same pan to fry 3/4 of your fresh sage (bring oil to a frying temperature and drop sage in for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Make your brown butter sauce: start melting butter over medium heat. Use a pan with a light-colored bottom so you can keep track of the color. Swirl the pan occasionally to be sure the butter is cooking evenly. As the butter melts, it will begin to foam. Should take about 5 minutes. You don't want to over-burn it.
- Drizzle brown butter onto ravioli, mushrooms and fried sage.
- Top with pumpkin seeds, pomegranate, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with remaining fresh sage.